With my last blog about gay marriage, I guess I should have no problem blogging about another controversial issue. So just as last time, I’ll come out and say what this is about, the A-word. Abortion, one of the touchiest issues of the last 100 years. From the Roe v. Wade decision to clinic bombings and violence, I’m not sure I’ve seen any issue invoke as much passionate divisiveness. Hell, even I have a bit of trouble really expressing how I feel about it; It’s an uncomfortable topic that is sadly part of life.
But does the government have a right to interfere in a woman’s private affairs such as this? In my opinion, no. Past the point when the child could survive outside of the womb I’d say the State has much more interest in the life of the child, but prior to that point, I feel the mother’s interests are more important. No one except woman (or couple) who has become pregnant knows their ability to care for a child, and no one but that woman should have the right to make a decision as to its birth. A woman who would be unable to provide adequate care for a child should not be forced to have that child, and the child should not be forced to be born into poverty or an unwilling home. Especially in modern times, where over-population and food crises have become part of modern existence, we should be more responsible with our reproduction. A child is something that should be planned for; a loving home and enough to provide for the new child is necessary. If the mother doesn’t feel she could adequately provide that, she shouldn’t be forced to. After all, aren’t you taking away her chance to better herself and have a child when she is ready? I won’t even considering the atrocities that woman may go through if abortion became illegal, I hope no one has to go through these types of things again.
Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think abortion should be just a run of the mill type activity, there is lots of responsibility in being sexually active and sadly it is not always practiced. But even when it is, things can still happen, and do. I think instead of protesting and detesting abortion, we should be revamping the archaic and confusing sex-ed coming from some schools and churches. After all, if what you’re taught is wrong, how could you possibly act right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that someone's sexual and reproductive rights are their own, and are not to be dictated to them by a government. The Supreme Court set the precedent of privacy in Griswold v. Connecticut, and backed it up in Roe v. Wade. The Women's Rights movement in this country is still very young. We are underrepresented in every level of government. It is scary to think that a majority of those who are making laws-- abortion laws in particular-- don't own a womb and will never know what it is like.
ReplyDeleteAbortion has been a controversial option of birth control for a long, long time. It needn't be such a divisive issue. I truly think it comes down to the question of equality. If having intercourse caused a man to develop a life-sucking tumor in his abdomen, he would be able to cure it. Women should have the option to decide whether or not to keep the tumor. The lines get blurry as to when the government has a stake in the wellbeing of that tumor. At some point, it can survive without the mother. The tumor then deserves all of the protections of its government.
Also, studies in population growth show a decline in birthrate when young girls are educated to the 4th grade level. It is important to educate and empower young women, so that they can make healthy decisions regarding birth control and sexual activity. I think we do a disservice to young people when we degrade the act of sex by claiming it immoral and corrupt. Adolescence is difficult and confusing enough... It would be awesome to see Sex Ed classes be more unbiased, and for them to even include curriculum for the gay/lesbian and transgendered kids. Openness, honesty, and actual useful information would make for a whole, healthy society.